Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 Minute Logon - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwilke7432

IS-IT--Management
Oct 27, 2003
US
Hello,
This is a very weird issue. I have two 2000 Professional computers (brand new out of the box 3 weeks ago) that started to have this problem last week.
We have cat5e cabling to a layer 3 switch (on a regular LAN)and it is accessing a Windows 2000 server.
What is happening is this: The user turns on his/her computer, and the computer goes through the Windows is starting up and Preparing Network Connections screens within one minute. For the next four minutes, the Applying computer settings screen comes up. Then the sign on screen comes up, and yes they are using AD. After the user presses the Enter key to sign on, then we get the screen that says Loading Your Personal Settings for 5 minutes.
Finally the desktop does come up.
In the event viewer, we get an EventID of 5719 that states No Windows NT or Windows 2000 Domain Controller is available for domain MMC. The following error occured: The RPC server is unavailable.
I have tried everything that I could find, including under event-id.com, but nothing is working. We have 20 2000 Professional machines and these are the only two that it is happening on.
I have put static IP addresses on these machines, put them into a different switch, changed the auto-negotiate on the Link Speed of the card to 100/Full, 100/Half, and 10/Full, and then even put the IP address of the server and the name of the server in both the hosts and lmhosts file. Nothing is working.
Please help. I am very confused on this one.
Kelly

I found the following list of KB articles posted in another forum....maybe one of these will help.

A search of the KB reveals the following 7 articles about event 5719:

"A Client Connected to an Ethernet Switch May Receive Several Logon-Related Error Messages
During Startup (Q202840)"

"User Is Not Alerted When Logging On with Cached Credentials (Q242536)"

"Forcing Kerberos to Use TCP Rather Than UDP in Windows 2000 (Q244474)"

"Upgrading Windows NT4.0 Domain Controller with FAT File System Does Not Install Active
Directory (Q259883)"

"Logging on to a Domain Does Not Work From a Windows 2000-Based RAS Client (Q269119)"

"PPTP Drops Packet Fragments That Arrive Out Of Order (Q292788)"

"PRB: Netlogon
Logs Event ID 5719 on a Domain Controller (Q310339)"

MJbianco15,
I have tried all of these posts, except for the Kerberos one.
I will try that tomorrow morning.
Kelly

I have seen a simular problem – it was fixed by ensuring DNS and WINS is setup correctly.

Make sure the workstations and the server use the one DNS (IP of the server)
DNS forward and reverse lookups are correct.
DHCP setup with correct DNS and WINS entries (to the server).
All workstation are using DHCP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back