Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 Kerzillion pop-up boxes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faz10

MIS
Sep 27, 2001
GB
I've had a punter on the phone who's off site and miles away. He's essentially using an offline machine (he doesn't connect to the WAN) and was advised to setup virgin.net or something similiar to get internet access.

Anyway, everytime he gets onto the internet he says he gets loads of pop-up boxes - some containing lewd pictures and messages. I've done this myself but it didn't stay that way. His home page is virgin and I've got him to clear out his temporary internet files but they're still coming up.

Is it likely he's got a virus?? I know pop-ups are a necessary evil, but he says there's about 30 windows.

IF you "accidentally hit" some bad sites...they hit you back.
SOME of them install dialers and other stuff like hijacking your home page and other nastiness.
Counter measures (security apps and settings and a pop-up stopper) are in order...but those sites are a threat.
There's a lot of free stuff that works....
I'll resist suggesting any...
the virus question better be resolved, too, tho just this behavior is normal for some sites.
Some spyware, some virus and some trojan sniffer and firewall are essential IMO.
again, there are free ones that work just fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back