Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 digit dialplan 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

heathersue

Technical User
Feb 10, 2004
US
Hi all,

For those with 10 digit extensions configured in their Aura CM, what did you do when it came time to configure a 10 digit extension that begins with 9? (example 908-123-3456)

The FAC digit is 9 for access for telco trunks. Did you have an issue with this or did you just expand out your dialplan to accomodate both the 9 FAC and the 9 as the start of a 10 digit number? Any pitfalls or gotchas you can share? issues with timers perhaps?

Thanks.

H :)

why not just change it to 8 instead if not used, also why do you have 10 digit extensions?

As soon as someone presses 9 on the keypad it's going to ARS (your telco trunks).

Depends if you got SIP sets or H323, but when we go 10 inside, we don't make 9 for ARS :) *XX noone'll ever know to dial and let UDP deal with it.

Why not use 11 digits. Then every extension starts with 1.

i Like Joe question, why are you using 10 digits extension?

Thanks all for the replies. 10 digits was to minimize the amount of digit/extension manipulation we'd have to do on the SM/SMGR. We are transitioning to Skype, so many inbound calls passthrough the PBX, to SM, over to Skype (requires 10 digits). We had been told that this 10 digit dialplans was a common thing to do when migrating to Skype, is this not the case?

So sounds like I could add a second ARS FAC to the FAC list, then use the location table to define one of the 2 FACs allowed? Or is it better to keep ARS as is, then for any location with 9 as first digit, just modify the first digit to another digit for the extension? Or is 10 digit dialplan something to rethink because theres no clean/good way to do it? Thoughts? Thanks all :)

e164/10-11 digit is common when going to skype. I'm a fan of 10 digit for big systems/things that need to integrate and play nice with other things.

The biggest benefit is integration. If MS needs a +, and you're not +1-npa-nxx-whatever, eventually extension 6155 calls out to something as +61 ... and the far end things the CLID on that call indicates its from Australia.

If you go 10 digit, just use UDP to send calls to ARS and ignore using the FAC anymore. A ARS FAC of 9 precludes you from having any extensions start with 9.

I would suggest to use E164 numbers to avoid any clash. Also by utilizing location based call type analysis, you dont need to press 9 for PSTN calling. Think of it as a telephone in your house.

I try to always make SM E.164. This allows me to function globally. If I need to do manipulations such as remove +1 I do this in the adaptation going to the entity. Makes the Numbering plan in the SM very simple.
+1 = NANP,
+2 = Mostly Africa
+3 = Europe
+4 = Europe
+5 = Central and South America
etc....

I can see where that would be useful for integration. So I have learned something today.

Speaking to a cluster of different CMs with SM/SMGR on top, the idea is you can not have to carve out and change everything on your CM and leverage adaptations in and out of that SIP entity.

So, even if your North America systems are 5 digit - say AAXXX where AA=site number and XXX is the 3 digit extension, you can adapt anything from cm to SM to being e164 numbering of +1-101-55A-AXXX, route based on that, and on egress to another system, drop the leading digits.

I know it sounds cumbersome, but the more you tweak and tune the hub, the less you need to do it on the spokes like little CMs and manage their dialplans. Planned properly, and you've got SM/SMGR as a layer of futureproofing against other things that people want to bolt on to, like getting users off the Avaya but keeping the PRI trunks there, or using Lync on a PC, but wanting speech path on an Avaya phone on their desk on another PBX, etc etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back