Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10 base-t vs 100 base-t

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycarona

IS-IT--Management
Mar 12, 2002
US
I am an IT professional who has inherited a beautifully designed network by a tech for whom I have alot of respect. We have a series of robust dual processor servers (WinNT 4.0)and about 50+ active users. The network is over a campus-like setting with fiber and cat 5 cabling. The disagreement is this: He has put 10 mps data converters and 10 base-t hubs on all the outlying offices. He has one small 100 mps switch for which I can pick and chose who I want to plug into it (as long as they are in the same building). He claims that giving everyone 100 mps bandwidth would "bog down" the server(s). I think everyone on the network should be given the same speed, especially with database applications that have been implemented since I've come on board. Does anyone have an expert opinion on this?

Thanks
MyCaRona

I would say that if you created VLAN's this latency problem would not become an issue. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA
Sprint-Data

At my shop we always say, 'go big or go home'. 100 full is the way..

I think I know what the tech is trying to do.. he is trying to "govern" the bandwidth which in the absence of any other way is acceptable.

Few people *need* 100Mbps.. and if you provide, expect abuses like video streaming, radio via internet etc..

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

I think there are ways to protect the servers against extra load other than artificially limiting bandwidth on the PCs. Congestion shouls be managed on the switch.
Also consider tha with hubs ou work half-duplex. Full-duplex would involve no more load and it would be better for the users (no collisions).
Also user's think time is far long than transmission time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back