Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 to 1 relationship question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich25

Programmer
Feb 2, 2001
US
Hello,

I'm updating my data model and just noticed that I have a few tables where I thought there was going to be a 1 to many relationship, but they ended up being just a 1 to 1 relationship. Should I eliminate these tables and just put the fields in the table that they relate to, or keep them?

Thanks

In school they taught us to roll 1 to 1 relationships together.

Now that I actually have a job I've learned that nothing is ever that cut and dry. You need to look at performance and if you wont take a hit there then it would probably make sense for you to make that change.

My 2 cents.

Ron

Leave it alone. As previously stated, in the real world the rules are suggestions. If you thought it might be one to many, trust your instinct that in the future it will be. Leave it for a while and check performance before making a hasty decision that you might end up reversing in the future. Also my two cents worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back