Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 tape-drive per server or 1 large drive for all three servers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theMatrix

IS-IT--Management
Jun 28, 2000
US
I can't decide between buying three 40Gig DAT drives (one for each server) or one large DLT drive for backing up via the network.<br><br>Does anyone out there have suggestions about which way to go or what they like/dislike about what they are currently using?<br><br>Thanks!!

You should consider how much your data will grow, on all servers.<br><br>But anyway, no matter what you decide, one large DLT (7000) drive will just do the work and with centralized backupmanagement.<br>You will be happy for that. Maybe you will be adding more servers and then you're stuck in buying and buying tapestreamers and with more work to you, setting up and manage.<br><br>One DLT streamer can take up to 70 GB per tape, but remember that the slower speed of your streaming (on the network), will cost on compression. You have the opportunity to buy DLT- 4000, 7000 or 8000. With DLT 7000 and a 64 bit SCSI controller i reached so high speed, that i got over 90 GB per tape.<br><br>Also remember that if you go over the 70 GB of data, you need to change tape. If so buy a little robot with in example 14 slots, will do your work.<br><br>Read more on <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> sure to do only hardware compression and a good thing is to have at backup network (a fast Ethernet). You can then take backup much faster and without interrupting the main network.<br><br>If in the future you decide to go the SAN way, it could be&nbsp;&nbsp;easyere to migrate with a DLT streamer.<br><br>Hope you can use my tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back