Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 report - mail merge with changing word documents?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mart10

MIS
Nov 2, 2007
GB
I am using CR10
My users have following requirement, to create ongoing word documents in a template and then post them. The static data eg bank name, address, date (Group1) company logo (Header) I am putting in a crystal report. I am then embedding the word document as an OLE

They can then edit the OLE via crystal for future letter types. Two questions:

1. Is this the best/only approach
2. Why does the word document not come directly after the address but on next page - I have tried putting the OLE in detail or in GH1 and no difference. I have also checked the section expert settings and these look fine ie no pages afters etc

Try right clicking on the OLE object->format object->uncheck "Keep Object together".

-LB

It made no difference, I tried to put the OLE in GH1 or in detail and made no difference. The letter part allways starts on 2nd page if the actual OLE document makkes it bigger than allowed (22cm)

and I get
gh1 (address on first page
letter
GF1 signatures on last page

Sorry, yes, I forgot--OLE objects cannot extend beyond one page. You'll have to change margins (of the letter, of the report), minimize any unused vertical white space, suppress the page header and/or footer, etc.

-LB

Another option is to use a 3rd-party Crystal Reports desktop schedulers. One of the tools listed at can automate the process of taking a Word document acting as a template, replacing content in it (text as well as tables) with content from Crystal report formulas, saving to a dynamic new file name (controlled by a Crystal data), and optionally emailing to a dynamic destination.

hth,
- Ido

view, export, burst, email, and schedule Crystal Reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back