Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 phone line 2 fax machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

akirkhome

MIS
Apr 22, 2002
GB
We have 2 fax machine NEfax 615 and Nefax 625 both by NEC, both with a REN of 3 and I need them both on the same phone line, one to be a backup incase of a failure in the other, can this be done, will ringers ect need to be set????

Is this on a PBX or just a stand alone line? I think you're asking for trouble hooking up 2 machines to the same line in the scenario you're describing. If on a PBX, you could set the line up to roll over to the backup line after X rings. You'll get the coverage you are looking for without physically being hooked to the same line. -CL

If on PBX, you could also set up a hunt-group for the 2 machines if this feature available.. If machine 1 failed then faxes would be received by machine 2.

AkirkHome:

Your Fax lines need a hunt-group feature provided by your phone service provider. FCC doesn't allow you to hook up phones that way. It has nothing to do with VoiceLogic

Ask your local phone company for further help

good luck

What FCC law is that? Matt Wray
CCNA, MCP
mwray77518@yahoo.com

If you don't want to order more services from the phone company and are not running it through a PBX, maybe you could set up the main fax machine to answer on two rings and the backup to answer on four rings. If one fax is unavailable, out of paper, etc, the other one will pick up the call.

If you want to avoid busy signals, you need hunting or Direct Inward Dial services from the phone company. Robert Harris
Communications Advantage

I guess...when sorting through advice given by your peers, one should be a little skeptical of anonymous visitors. I too would like to see the FCC law prohibiting a customer from connecting two telephone devices to the same line.

I side with Mr. Harris, just make the backup machine answer on 4 rings and the main machine answer right away or something. Simple solution for a common problem.

Hope it works for you.
Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Hooking up two fax machines to one line is the same as hooking multiple extensions in your house, but the phone company would like to limit the number of extensions to 4 because it hinders the ring voltage (the more ringers, the lower the voltage going to each). If only one line is available (no PBX) both machines will ring at the same time and probably pick up if the ring option is identical. If not, the one with the less ring will pick up first and of course, the next call will get a busy while the machine is processing the call. Keep in mind that if one fax machine goes bad, it may affect the line so that the calls will either get busy or ring-no answer. To check, just disconnect the suspected fax. If you have a PBX, then the hunt uption works best. Good luck

Here is a weird problem that I have ran into. Two Fax machines connected to the same line. Fax number 1 is sending a fax, fax number 2 is listening for CNG tones and it picks up the line. You now faxed from one fax to another. Had to turn off automatic receive on one of the faxes machine. You may not notice this problem but just thought I would put my two cents in. Chuck Berg
Performance Telecom
chuck@performancetele.com Office Hours
chuck@chucks-web.com After hours
713-791-1911 x202

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back