Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 (out of 12) Remote IP Phones Utilizing Media Relay Gateway Having Constant Drops/Reboots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisco33

Vendor
Jun 22, 2021
US
Hello All,

I have a customer with an NS1000 that is utilizing the MRG for their 12 Receptionists, with NT500 series phones at their homes. This has been working fairly well since we implemented the setup about a year ago, with the exception of occasional reboots of the user's ISP equipment every now and then (to be expected).

One of the users has recently started to report that her phone is constantly rebooting throughout the day, as well as having one-way audio issues, etc when the phone is actually up. She has noted that her internet stays up when this happens as well (of course). She also recently mentioned that her ISP (AT&T) had done some sort of "upgrade" or "moved/changed some fibers" in the last couple of months. She has tried rebooting her ISP equipment and phone many times to no avail.

This, I believe to be an issue with her ISP (AT&T) as all was working fine for her until just recently and all of a sudden not. BTS, as you could guess wants a Wireshark trace done at the remote and local sites, which is a bit difficult has she does not live very close and I believe they will simply come back saying "It's not a PBX issue".

I have verified that her phone is set to "Remote+Local", like all of the others.

Does anyone have any advise or experience with this sort of issue? I believe to be on her ISP, but it's still going to be on me to work with them for resolution.

Thank you!

Is the customer using DDNS at the location for the PBX? Is the FQDN or the static IP in the Slot -> System Property -> Site -> Media Relay -> Nat-External IP Address/FWDN ?

When left blank, I've had this resolve into one-way audio issues.

Also, is there anything new added at her house that may be creating a double NAT environment? Like one of those Google Nest devices for example. Maybe something else pushing out DHCP addresses?

Reboots is normally dues to port 2727 being blocked or not arriving on the expected port. If the phones don’t receive this keep alive request 3 times over 20 seconds the phone reboots. Normal signs this is the issue is the phone stops responding to button presses or loses audio while on a call and is normally before it reboots.

If its far away you could try running a IP softphone on the persons laptop, if it happens this you could run wireshark on the same laptop to see what is happening

If they can access their firewall and make sure alg/sip helpers are turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back