Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 Office Product Key - 2 laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
I have 2 laptops at home, an HP and Acer
I’ve got the product key (or whatever it is called) from BestBuy ($120) for my HP to install MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)

Can I use the same product key to install the same stuff on my other laptop (Acer)?
Is it legal? (I paid for it)
Or do I need to get (buy) another one for another $120?

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

Check your EULA.

From Mine:

MS EULA said:
INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS. Before you use the software under a license, you must assign that license to one device. That device is the “licensed device.”  A hardware partition or blade is considered to be a separate device.
a. Licensed Device. You may install and use one copy of the software on the licensed device.
b. Portable Device. You may install another copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

So the EULA doesn't specify that it has to be a desktop and laptop literally - just one considered the main device, and the 2nd the portable device. The idea seems to be that way you can have one main system, but if you need to go on the road, and use a different system, you can use the 2nd system.

What they are NOT allowing for is using the 2 simultaneously. Though this is possible, all the license agreements I've read (including MS Office), are setup considering for one user.

There is a form of MS Office - MS Home and Student, I believe - that allows for 3 machines simultaneously, best I can tell, but I don't remember looking very deeply into it.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

>that allows for 3 machines simultaneously

Not since Office 2007, I'm afraid.

It was suggested to me to read the ‘terms of use’ or whatever they (MS) displays before you click ‘I agree’ or ‘I accept’ before installing the Office. But, where do I find those terms now? And if/when I find them, do I need to read thru all of the legal mambo-jumbo to find the answer to my question?

Or is there a place I can contact to find it out?

It was also suggested to me to just do it – install Office with the product key on another laptop. Who is going to check it? I guess it is not so easy to follow the rules, especially if it is not so easy to find what the rules are…

Have fun.

---- Andy

A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station.

>where do I find those terms now?

In any Office app: File/Help/Microsoft Software License Terms (or, online, here: which is just one of many places that Microsoft make the license terms available)

> do I need to read thru all of the legal mambo-jumbo

Nope, the stuff about the number of copies is near the beginning

>It was also suggested to me to just do it – install Office with the product key on another laptop.

Sure, but that would be piracy. Is that something you want to condone?

>Who is going to check it?

That's pretty much what Activation is supposed to achieve

Thanks strongm, I will look it up.

And to answer your question - no, ‘I don’t want to be a pirate’ :) (a quote from Jerry Seinfeld ) it was just suggested to me, but that does not mean I am going to do it. And I would not reveal to entire world my desire to do something illegal. Besides, I do enjoy a good night sleep, and that’s the sign of a clear conscience (I’ve been told)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Found the terms of use. Not that easy to do in 2013 version.
One Product Key – one computer only. :-(

(Home and Student version, I think…)

Have fun.

---- Andy

I reuse keys all the time. Use the activate by phone option rather than by internet.

I reuse keys all the time.
Whether that is legitimate depends on your licence. Neither this site nor any other reputable site condones piracy - aka software theft - which is what installing software on multiple devices contrary to the EULA is.

Cheers
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back