Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 of 2 pc's connected to cable modem & router has very slow speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

roygbiv28

Technical User
Mar 17, 2001
US
I have two pc's: DELL 933 Pentium III, MICRON 133 Pentium connected to a cable modem using a NETGEAR Gateway router 314. Both can access the internet fine, pings check out fine, but for some reason Micron is operating slower than a dial-up connection. I have the cable modem attached to the Micron via a 25' CAT 5e cable, and the DELL is connected via a 7' CAT 5e cable. At first I'm assuming that because the computer is a 133, it might have some effect on the browser speeds, but I don't think so. I have tried moving the modem and the router into the room with the MICRON, and I do see a much-improved performance. Then I connected the 25' cable onto the micron with the modem & router still in the same room as the Micron, and it still seems to operate better. Why, when I move the modem and router back into the DELL computer's room, is the speed still crawling. Please help me. Thanks.

i would look at rf problems try a differnet cable . i know this sounds wired but try puting foil on the cable see if any faster this will tell you if it an rf thing but try the the cable 1 st So long and thanks for all the fish.

I moved the cable modem and 7' cable to the room where the Micron 133 PC is and used the 25' cable to the Dell 933. When I do this, I get good throughput speeds and fast internet browsing on both computers. Can anyone tell me why this is? Thanks.::)

One more note of information:
When I had my Dell computer connected with my dial-up modem (checking my e-mail from ATT.NET), along with my cable modem connected, and I just checked my internet speed at it gave me speeds of only a dial-up (just like the Micron performed when connected by the 25' cable). Any thoughts anyone??

are you swicthing which cable line you are conneted to you move the router that mighty hace an effect if the other line has a poor singal out if not it sounds like rf problem So long and thanks for all the fish.

Try 192.168.100.1 That should take you to the modem stats page. I agree with the previous, sounds like a cable outlet problem (if you are switching cable outlets when you said you moved it). Anyway, on the modem stats page you should find something telling you what signal levels you're getting. I would compare the two. But the slow speeds sounds like an RF problem alright.

As a Guess, both the PC and the router think they can do 100 Meg, but the wire won't do it, you may wish to hard code the PC to do 10 meg and see if the wire will do that, or buy a new 25' cable I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yup, just because the router and the NIC negotiate to 100 doesn't mean the cable will do it. And since the 25 ft cable performs best in the Micron room it might be just the right length to attenuate to the rf interference in the other room. Check continuity of all pairs first, then condition of terminations. UTP has limited interference protection even with all pairs terminated correctly. If all check out I'd also bet it's rf interference. Remember Cat5 UTP is "unshielded" twisted pair. Might want to go to "Shielded" twisted pair if you can't locate the rf source. If you do this, be sure the router and the NIC have metal around the port to ground the shielded cable. If not, they don't support shielded twisted pair.

Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back