Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1 minute delay every 5 minutes when connected to ISP

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffb1

IS-IT--Management
Jun 3, 2001
CA
I recently upgraded my PC which included a new modem. Now, when I connect to the Internet, I experience a delay that lasts for almost 1 minute that occurs approximately every 5 minutes.

The delay is there regardless of which browser I use (IE 5.0 or Netscape 4.5). I didn't have this delay with my previous setup.

At first, I thought that some other program that loads on startup might be doing this but I have disabled everything that I could and yet I still experience the delay.

My modem is a Cirrus CLM Data Fax Voice model, internal 56K PCI.

Is there some modem setting that could be causing this or is it a dial-up networking setting? Incidentally, while this delay is in progress, I am still able to switch to other windows so it's not that the whole PC is frozen, just my internet access seems to be paused.

I have looked for and tried everything I can think of to no avail.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back