Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

1, 2, 3, 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

streborr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
How many pairs are actually used? I want to upgrade the cabling at work, it's a mess. Mixed 568A and 568B, some 2pr connections some 4pr connections, CAT3, CAT5.

I will be using CAT6.

I was just curious about how many and which pairs are used for networking? I will have a 1Gb backbone.

"Without deviation, progress is not possible."
Frank Zappa

All four pair are terminated at both ends whether you use them or not. Different protocols will use different amount s of pairs.

The answer is "42"

That would also apply to telephone wiring.

Using Avaya systems as an example, telephones for the Partner ACS use 2 pairs, while the Merlin Magix uses only 1 pair.

for computernetworks 2 pairs are used. (pin 1,2 and 3,6). For telephony most of the time 1 pair is used (pin 4,5).

But there are always exeptions on the rules. For example when u use Power over ethernet another pair is used to give power to a device.

But keep in mind to avoid using multiple device over one cable even if not all of the wires are used. This is because it affects the resistance in the cable an things like that.

If you are going to spend time in fixing this, then punch all 4 pair down on all your connections either voice or data. This will get you on the road to having it "right" and keeping it that way.

Spliting pairs will only come back to haunt you at one point or another.

"You don't stop playing because you get old. You get old because you stopped playing."

If you are are going to upgrade your cabling, then why not do it the right way?!! Spend the time and money to have it done right and you will spend less in the future on this problem. Get cat.6 connectors and keep your data separated from your voice cabling. Remember, your network speed is only as fast as your weakest link.

We all need a little help once in awhile. Tony the Phoneman..

for computernetworks 2 pairs are used. (pin 1,2 and 3,6)"

That is if you are using a 10Mbps connection. He wants to use a 1Gb backbone. He needs to use all 4 pair.

Thank you all for your responses.

I always made it a habit of punching all 4prs, even if some of the conductors aren't used at least it will add to physical connection strength. The last IT guy only punched down 2pr.

I want to replace all the cabling to CAT6. Like I said, I will have a 1Gb backbone and eventually add new workstations with 1gig nics.

So I guess bwtc's answer is the one I'm looking for, 1Gb requires all 4 pairs.

Thanks everybody!
Rick

"Without deviation, progress is not possible."
Frank Zappa

do not forget to use cat6 components throughout, jacks, patch panels, patch cables, etc.

that may mean not re-using your old patch panels.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

......I could be wrong here.. but if you are going to be using 1000base-t ethernet.. it uses all 4 pairs.

Auger282, you are correct, as bwtc said just two posts above you.

The answer is "42"

whoops! my-b... carryon!

I personally dont like cat6 just because it takes up more room in the cieling and its heavier/harder to run. But thats just me.

We use cable trays where we are going to run 6 and bridle rings everywhere else for 5/5e

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back