Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0x32 PRI inbound calls get a dial tone instead of ringing a set...

Status
Not open for further replies.

melbs1

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2004
US

not sure if PRI programming was lost or wtf happened but had a power surge last week that fried an 0x16 module and ports 101-108 on KSU. so today the plan was to replace the 0x32 cab - we did so but realized the programming did not xfer to replacement unit and decided to go with original unit until had enough time to figure out or program new unit.

once had the original unit back online the PRI calls in no longer rang to respective sets. actually when you call in on those numbers you get a dial tone instead of a set ringing. so I call main line from my cell phone and instead of hearing ringing, I get a dial tone.

no idea what has happened. any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

You need a PRI Enabler keycode that is tied to the system ID of the KSU.
Back in the day you would have Nortel migrate the code from one KSU to the other then ship back the faulty unit or be charged for the new keycode.

Sounds like you have corruption too, maybe software took a hit and why it can not reload properly.
Doing a STARTUP and program from scratch can sometimes clear the bugs.

When you hear the dialtone can you then enter an ext # and it will process the call?
Is it stuttered dialtone at the beginning?

What is the prime set for Line 001?

You may need to go to hardware and look at the PRI programming.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks, when you call and get dial tone you can not dial an extension from there.

just dial tone, however I recall getting stuttered dial tone when I dialed one of the other main numbers.

Line 1 Prime set was set to 253, that is not an existing extension here so I changed it to 221 - front desk phone.

It is a school so there is a ton of programming and the guy who installed it retired and moved away. no records.
starting from scratch would be hard. Plus I haven't set up a PRI on a Norstar.

So firing up the DTI card on the newer KSU may have queered the PRI keycode? what options do I have with out a PRI keycode enabler and a school that isn't getting any inbound calls?
Thanks again.

Did find some programming notes including 3 sets of numbers that are "PRI keycodes" - is there some info on how/where to check that the numbers are programmed correctly? Thanks

why not just replace the phone system, school put put in an insurance claim, sounds like more than just a pri issue, not to mention all of the down time.

not a bad idea other than the idea of getting them up now versus tomorrow - figuring this may be a programming issue and would take an hour or so to fix but has not worked out that way.
DTI card is lit solid green so Keycode is not the issue, PRI tested good,so I am going to go thru and check the target lines next - not sure how any of this would have changed over the course taking the KSU off the wall for about 30 minutes and then re-installing it same as it was. Fun fun.
Thx.

If you do not know the programming then you need to call in a vendor who does.

The tech would probably change the card to something else then back again and also go through all the bits of programming to make sure they are correct.
If all seems correct then the tech would have to do a startup, plug in the keycode and program everything from scratch or load your backup if you have one.

Going about this on a forum is not the way to go on a system down emergency.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back