Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0x0000007b NTOSKRNL.EXE

Status
Not open for further replies.

juniper911

Technical User
Mar 7, 2007
GB
Hello everybody,

I am having trouble booting up a server. This physical server has windows 2000 installed twice, I can boot into the normal mode but when I try to boot into the second mode I get the bluescreen with 0x0000007b, NTOSKRNL.EXE, inaccessible boot device, error message.

Having looked at articles I am guessing it cannot be the boot.ini file as it is used by the working operating system. Shall I replace the file in the second copy with the file from the first copy?

Does anyone know of any sites that explain the boot procedure to a deep detail?

Many thanks

Its from the same hard drive on the c:\ but in another directory.

Does anyone know if in Win NT there is a folder similar to Dllcache that is found in W2K? Is there a backup place in WINNT somewhere I can restore the file?

1/
Try to boot with the original windows CD. Log in as Administrator and go to the recovery console and type chkdsk /r and when it's done type "exit". Restart and check if the problem's still there.

2/

Boot with windows cd and when it ask to repair, type "R"

3/ After that, replace the ntoskrnl.exe by the original one from the win2k cd. Extract the file with the Expand command and extract the file where's the corrupt one's. The ntoskrnl.exe is located in drivers.cab on the cd ( CD:\i386\drivers.cab ) and the destination should be ( c:\winnt\system32 ) by default.

Syntax
expand [-r] Source Destination

expand-rSource [Destination]

expand-dSource.cab [-f:Fichiers]

expand Source.cab-f:FichiersDestination

I hope it can help you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back