Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0x0000007B BSOD moving a HD to a new MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napmaster

Technical User
Oct 23, 2003
US
I've seen the following solution
posted on a lot of different web sites. This solution assumes that you have access to your old MB. Mine is toast, and I'd like to rescue my old programs. I'd like to find the file names of the drivers for my new MB chipset drivers. I've determined that these are written by Intel. I figure that if I rename them, that I should be able to use the recovery process to get the system back. Maybe not! If I must edit the registry, but do not have any way to boot the HD back up, am I just hosed?

Rescue data from a IDE drive mounted on new/other PC
when connecting it to IDE port makes boot fail:

One other way is to swap it with existing ide drive in an external usb drive cabinet .
Boot up the PC , hot plug in the USB external drive cabinet
with the disk you want data from .

I'm not very concened about saving my data. I already have another instance to Win2K running on this system. I can access the files without a problem. I'm just trying to save the install. However, your suggestion has lead me to a great idea. If this is an IDE drivers issue, then will trying to boot from a USB drive get me into windows by going around the drivers?

Im not sure we can boot from USB .
I have read many post that users tries to put their problem
drive in another pc (or own as a slave) and that resulting in no boot , = no data to recover.
Then i thought of this simple idea ,put the problematic ide drive in an usb box and connect it after boot .
Then rescue the data that's intact .
I thought you might have valueble data you wanted to get off it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back