Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

0 for two XP Drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdy4trvl

Technical User
Feb 26, 2001
US
As you will see there are many problems here (operator being #1) so pick any reply to....only good news, I do have a fresh backup on a external HD

Situation:
Last time I did a fresh install of XP I made a mirror of the hard drive just in case (with key programs installed , before accessing the internet, includes SP2).....so I started with two internal drives with XP

Problems:
1. Primary Drive (120gb, 105gb used)- XP now freezes shortly after completely booting....usually happens when i start a new program - any program - Firefox, Norton (to run virus check), etc. I suspect there are hundreds of potential causes .....I just removed some programs which made the problem worse - had been freezing occasionally when starting Win2000 (watch TV on the computer) program. I do have Norton GoBack but not sure it's worth the effort to take it back to the "occasional" freeze problem.

2. Mirror backup HD (160gb, maybe 20 used)- when booting I now get "windows\system32\config\system" missing. I read the MS help page on this - Seriously, is this the best MS can do with all that brain power that company has? I'm not even sure I can reformat this drive - it isn't functioning when installed as the 2nd HD on the system.

3. Thought I would try the Windows Repair from the XP Install disk on either (or both) HD's. However, the system will not recognize the disk even after I change the Bios....Had this problem before and my notes from the last successful attempt showed I used the DVD drive (vs CD) and hit the space key at the flashing "_". Unfortunately this is not helping this time. Doesn't work in the CD drive either.

Details:
Windows XP Home, with SP2 downloaded (original disk is just XP w SP1)
Dell Dimension 4550 w 800meg RAM
Experience level:low = probably not going to make command line changes to the computer.

Any "quick fix" suggestions on any of the three problems?
Thanks

Regarding #3 - I found that if I unplug the DVD drive, I can boot from the XP install disk.....progress! Any other comments....are appreciated. Thanks

For # 3 it sounds like you just need to change the boot order in the BIOS

For #3, when XP is booted from a CD for repair or reinstall, GoBack will cause the repair not to see any partitions. This applies to any other drive GoBack has infiltrated.

See the WORKAROUND section of the following KB:

For any freezing troubleshooting try these two links.

Freezing... Help!
thread779-1435060

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

These next are just for you to glance at, more for information than anything else, hopefully sorting out GoBack will fix your hard drive problem.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

HOW TO: Create a Multiple-Boot System in Windows XP (Q306559)

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

That is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

make sure that the drives are jumpered correctly, i.e. Master and Slave (on each IDE cable) with the MASTER at the end of the cable (usually the black connector, blue being the one to connect to the motherboard and the gray one for the slave drive).

also while you have the PC open, physically inspect all connections (unplug cables and replug them, etc.)... look at the capacitors for leakage and or bulging, as this usually indicates a bad motherboard and can cause the symptoms you have described (freezing)...
read: for more info...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Dell uses CS jumper on all of its drives. The end of the cable is the primary and middle is secondary.
You need to go into bios and set the optical drive as first boot device.
The optical on the end of the cable is your xp boot drive.
If you are going to boot from the 160, it must replace the 120 on the cable.
Proceed from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back