Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

“Cloud Computing” The New Paradigm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEBirch

Technical User
Sep 16, 2011
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with Cloud computing as a business model. How does one determine what to charge? . . . getting your website known? . . . determining if you really have a product people want? I have seen many websites “touting” this new business model (Microsoft is pushing it very heavily) but I don’t know anyone who has pursued it yet. Thank you,

Stephen E. Birch

Lots of companies are offering public cloud offerings. To name a few

Microsoft
Amazon
RackSpace
EMC
GoGrid

Denny
MCSA (2003) / MCDBA (SQL 2000)
MCTS (SQL 2005 / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2008 BI / MWSS 3.0: Configuration / MOSS 2007: Configuration)
MCITP (SQL 2005 DBA / SQL 2008 DBA / SQL 2005 DBD / SQL 2008 DBD / SQL 2005 BI / SQL 2008 BI)
MCM (SQL 2008)
MVP

My Site

How does one determine what to charge? . . . getting your website known? . . . determining if you really have a product people want?

The last question is easiest. Instead of building a product and then trying to figure out if people want it, why not build something that people want and then build something that meets that need?

There are a slew of cloud providers out there, all providing different "cloud solutions". Some are application as a Service(Salesforce.com and some Google apps, for example). Others are Platform as a Serivce (Amazon, Azure, Google), Infrastructure as a Service, and so on. The key is that you are delivering a service to clients over the Internet, that they are paying on a metered basis based on utilization/consumption, that you have capacity to elastically scale out when need and snap back when capacity is not needed, etc.

MCITP:Server Administrator
MCITP:Enterprise Administrator
MCITP:Virtualization Administrator 2008 R2
Certified Quest vWorkspace Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back