Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

¿How to use the cross cable? Loopback address? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thiago83

Technical User
Feb 2, 2004
BR
Hello people... I´ve an embedded web server on a board and it works fine on the LAN here... but I want to use it directly to the PC.
I´ve tried to use the loopback address, with an UTP cross cable, but without success. The question is: What IP should I use when connecting to something using the cross cable?

Thanks everyone,

Thiago Camargo.

The IP address of the other machine/device.

The loopback is really only for testing/local connections.

So, doesnt matters what IP I pick?

Any IP that I configure should work out?

Thank you.

If a machine is connected to the webserver, then in order to access the webserver from the machine you would type in the webservers IP.

I´ve tried this, but I´ll try again...

thanks.

if you make a hosts entry you will be able to connect via hostname.

If you are connecting to a web server, then use your web browser.

you may be hitting the box, but not on port 80

Pinging will use port 7
telnet will use port 23
nslookup will look for the machine, but will be looking for a DNS server with an A record in it.

With a crossover cable, directly connected. Use your web browser and SPECIFY HTTP

ip address>

If you use a host entry as bcastner suggests, you will be able to type in the hostname in the browser instead of the IP adress.

If you have configured the web server to talk on another popular HTTP port (i.e. 8080), you will have to specify that port number as follows:

ip address>:<port#>

Good Luck Friend.

Thanks a lot.

It´s working out now... Very good the hostname tip... the interaction with the final user become easier...

Thanks everyone
smiletiniest.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back