Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

«Operating System not found» message at start-up 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucodu

Technical User
Sep 20, 2008
CA
A while back, I swapped HDs from two of my computers; that did not work at all, so I reinstalled the HDs in the respective computers. One has been working well since, the other one (the HP Pavilion one) gets the following message on start-up: «Operating System not found». I found that when I do «control-alt-delete», the system starts and Windows XP works just fine. The only problem is that to get my computer working, I need to do «ctrl-alt-del» everytime. Is there a way to correct the problem? Thanks.

luc

go into the BIOS, there set your BOOT ORDER as follows:

First Boot Device: CD ROM
Second Boot Device: HDD

just make sure that the Floppy drive is out of the picture...

reasoning: the Drive takes too long to spin up, and the BIOS does not find the drive and jumps to the next boot device which may be the CD ROM or a FDD... or you have a flaky floppy drive which may be signaling the BIOS that it has a floppy in it...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.

I am not really sure what you mean by «changing the boot order». I turned on the computer and pressed F1 which gets me to the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility. I don't see «First Boot Device» anywhere. Where should I be looking for it? In the Main menu, Advanced? Boot? Thanks.

I believe I just managed to change the Boot Order as recommended (I went into the BOOT menu and put the CD Rom first in the list, then the HD). I saved the new settings then started the computer. I get the same message still upon start up: «Operating System not Found».
So in Boot Device Priority Screen, this is what appears:

CD-Rom Drive
+ Hard Drive
Network Boot
+ Removable Devices

I hope this helps.

Try to disable all but the Hard Drive in the boot order (or make HDD first) and see if it makes any difference. If not, then we're barking up the wrong tree in terms of boot device order.

I disabled all but the HD (i.e. I managed to get an exclamation mark (!) besides all except the HD, I assume that's how one disables components... i'm new at this) but i still get the same message.
This is what someone told me regarding my situation:
«So what happened was when you put the hp Pavilion hard drive into your other computer, the operating system reset the configuration files. And the hard drive from your old computer won't work in the hp computer without reseting the operating system. You can migrate a hard drive from one computer to another as long as you have an XP installation disk and do a "repair install". I know this from personal experience since I have done this many times when I have helped others upgrade their computers and they wanted to keep their old hard drive. If you do not know how to do this, you need to find a competent tech to do it.»
So if this is right, then I guess i need help with doing a «repair install» with my XP disk... hum...

«Operating System not Found».
is a BIOS message, not an OS message!

and the Vulcan Death Grip that you do and then get into the OS, tells me that all is well with the OS, but not with the boot drives or the boot order...

Things to check at this stage:

1. Jumper settings, if the drive is IDE, make sure the drive is set to MASTER and on the PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL...
2. unplug the CD-ROM from the mainboard...
3. unplug the Floppy drive at the mainboard...

Ben

OMG!!! you know what, your number one recommendation in your last post seems to have corrected the problem!! I swapped the CD and HD cables, and XP started like new! I had actually took the computer to a computer store, where the tech (obviously switched the cables) told me my motherboard was defective and was trying to sell me one of his old computers. I'm just glad I did not end up buying one, and did not pay him a dime as it was a «free estimate». But I seem to have paid a high price in terms of anxiety, stress and a whole lot of research. At least the problem is resolved (thanks to your expertise!!), and I am now more knowlegeable computer-wise. Thank you so much to you and to others who have responded to my call for help.

Lucodu - glad you got it sorted, and that it was a minor issue...
a whole lot of research
sometimes experience and hands on are better lecturers, than just reading... ;-)

just remember, for future issues, that XP has problems running from the secondary IDE channel and as a SLAVE on any channel (if it is the ONLY drive it is installed on)...

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back