Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Users cannot change their passwords

General Troubleshooting

XP Users cannot change their passwords

by  Stevehewitt  Posted    (Edited  )
XP Users unable to change passwords when you force them to? ('Change password at next logon' or users password expires etc.)

This is what happened to me after I used the MSBA (Microsoft Security Baseline Analyser) on my Windows 2000 Server. MSBA told me to tighten security by setting DWORD RestrictAnonymous to 2.

I have been informed that there are 3 solutions:

- Change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa\RestrictAnonymous to a DWORD Value of 0. Give the server a restart .This is only a temporary solution mind - this didn't solve my problem
- Get Q328817. This is not publicaly released yet, so give MS a call and demand that they give you the FTP address and password.
- Wait for SP2 for Windows XP. This contains the fix.
Obviously the recommended one is the patch - but if its not major, or if it can wait then looking forward to SP2 should be OK.

Good Luck,

Steve.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back