Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I telnet from SCO to Linux without the colors messing things up?

Linux

How can I telnet from SCO to Linux without the colors messing things up?

by  pcunix  Posted    (Edited  )
From http://pcunix.com/SCOFAQ/scotec4.html#linuxcolors :

I've telnetted to a linux machine, and the automatic colors for commands like ls and vi have made it impossible to see what I type.

Immediate fix: Type your telnet escape character (probably CTRL-] ) and then type:

!setcolor -n

Or, before telnetting from a SCO console, run

vidi vm80x25

That shuts off color and about the worst you will get is bold characters. Remember- you do the vidi on the SCO side BEFORE you telnet or ssh to Linux.

Put it back to normal with

vidi v80x25

Another trick is to have previously done:

setcolor -n > resetc

on the SCO box. Transfer that "resetc" file to Linux, and when things become ugly, "cat resetc" will restore colors.

If you are using ssh, and have started from a job-control shell, you are supposed to be able to type ~ followed by CTRL-Z to suspend back to your original shell. This works fine on some systems, but not with my ORS5 box when logged in as "root"- I get back to my starting point all right, but then "fg" lists no jobs. Hoewever, using ksh as any other user, this works fine.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back