Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do i set up a Crystal web server ?

Crystal Web servers 4 idiots

how do i set up a Crystal web server ?

by  ibearian  Posted    (Edited  )
Setting up the web services is dead easy. On your web server (mine a compaq piii 500mhz 256mgram proliant, running NT4 and IIS with the latest service packs). Install the (at least) the crystal web servers and if you can the report program to as this will ease any trouble shooting problem. set up in IIS a folder called say 'FOLDER' then in it paste a static (at first keep it simple) report called say 'REPORT'.

look at the permissions on IIS and Internet explorer (which i use, but it works with netscape and opera with the java stuff)You may need a grown up to help and avoid compromising security. If their is one availble then have a go anyway it is easy but ..... be warned you can make the server very volnerable ( so i use an internal server with only access to our intranet)

On IE you need to enable/prompt the activex download facilities and IIS the ip access and challenge repsonce etc etc....you'll see.

then from your browers type //myserver/FOLDER/REPORT.rtp then it should start to downlaod the viewer, takes 3-5 minutes or if the viewer is installed it'll just fire up. Trouble shooting with static reports should be down to IIS or IE (those are the only problems i have found) dynamic reports are just as easy to get working but when you refresh (ie a dynamic report) you open a whole new can of trouble. Once they are working however they are dead reilable and if you want to change or update a report you simple alter the web report once.

What i do is the database part of a program in VB then via a hyperlink link to the webserver for the reports. When someone wants a new report or i update one i just add/save it to the web page. i don't have to re compile and distribute and re install with ODBC's dsn's etc it just so easy on the web !!!
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back