Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Networking Windows 2000 and Windows 9x in a Peer 2 Peer

Networking

Networking Windows 2000 and Windows 9x in a Peer 2 Peer

by  butchrecon  Posted    (Edited  )
Networking Windows 2000 machines with Windows 9x or another Windows 2000 machine.

Networking a Windows 2000 machine in a Peer-to-Peer network can be tricky if you are unfamiliar with Windows 2000. So follow these simple steps and you should do fine.

WINDOWS 2000 PRO/SERVER

1) TCP/IPùEnsure all machines are on the same TCP/IP scheme with the same WORKGROUP installed. To do so right click on MY NETWORK PLACES on the desktop and scroll down to PROPERTIES. Find your connection (you may have to create a new session) and right click on it and go to PROPERTIES. Highlight TCP/IP and click PROPERTIES. Input the proper TCP/IP protocol and hit ok. At this point I would suggest installing NetBEUI. Just click on INSTALL in the NETWORK PROPERTIES sheet. Click on PROTOCOL and select NETBEUI PROTOCOL and hit OK. Hit OK to get out of the NETWORK PROPERTIES sheet. (At this point you should not have to reboot. I have seen where Windows 2000 will require a reboot).
2) WORKGROUP--Right click on MY COMPUTER and go to PROPERTIES. Go to NETWORK IDENTIFICATION. Next click on PROPERTIES. Down at the bottom is a box for WORKGROUP. Input your WORKGROUP There. Hit OK all the way back out. (Twice)
3) USERSùNow you have to create a SEPARATE user account for ALL machines that you want to access your Windows 2000 Machines (Including other Windows 2000 machines) If you do not enable the guest account.
A) For Windows 2000 Pro Go to START>SETTINGS>CONTROL PANEL. Next click on USERS AND PASSWORDS. Click ADDà and type in the USER NAME and hit NEXT. Now type in the PASSWORD and hit NEXT. Now you have to decide what kind of access level you want to give each User you create. Then click FINISH. When you create a user on the Windows 2000 machine, ENSURE ALL Windows 2000 machines have that SAME account created as well. Now you can enable the GUEST account if you donÆt want to create a separate login for each Machine. The GUEST account will allow ALL machines on your network to access the Windows 2000 machine.
B) For Windows 2000 Server Right click on MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE. Next expand the LOCAL USERS AND GROUPS folder and click on the USERS folder. Right click on the space on the right side and select NEW USERà Now type in the USER NAME and PASSWORD and near the bottom UNCHECK USER MUST CHANGE PASSWORD and check PASSWORD NEVER EXPIRES (This is good for a small home network so you are not constantly changing the password.) then click CREATE. Also I suggest for home users that they ENABLE the GUEST account (So they donÆt have to create separate accounts for each machine). Do this by right clicking on GUEST and select PROPERTIES. Next UNCHECK ACCOUNT IS DISABLED and hit OK.

WINDOWS 9x

1) TCP/IPùRight click on NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD and select PROPERTIES. Select the TCP/IP for your Network adapter and click PROPERTIES. Add the IP scheme here and hit OK. Also ensure that CLIENT FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS is installed (ItÆs a SERVICE). Click on the FILE AND PRINT SHARING button in the lower middle of the NETWORK PROPERTIES page and ensure that both boxes are CHECKED. Also Install NETBEUI by clicking ADD then selecting PROTOCOL. Select MICROSOFT and click on NETBEUI PROTOCOL and hit OK. Next click on the IDENTIFICATION tab and make sure the WORKGROUP is the same as the rest of the PCÆs. Once you have done all that hit ok. Once you are finished you will be required to reboot. Once your system has come back up to a login prompt, login and attempt to access the network. If all is ok you have successfully completed your network setup. If you have problems ensure that ALL machines have the same TCP/IP settings and WORKGROUP installed. Also ensure that NETBEUI is installed.

Its really not that difficult once you understand the concepts of accounts in Windows 2000.

And as always if there is something here you think needs updated or changed just let me know.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back