Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Another method of getting rid of the Login prompt.

Login Prompt

Another method of getting rid of the Login prompt.

by  Crustyoldbloke  Posted    (Edited  )
Getting rid of the annoying Type a user name to identify yourself and a password if you wish, when you're not on a network. You try all of the conventional methods, deleting passwords, type a name but not a password, hit enter, editing the sys.ini file and ensuring that windows logon is displayed in Network, and still when you reboot, the infernal window opens up again with the same message.

Why doesn't my machine know I'm not on a network? I never have been on a network, I'm never going to be on a network. So what can you do to bring your blood pressure back down to safe limits?

Here's one easy thing to look for first. If you have the Powertoys TweakUI, there is a setting on the Paranoia tab called, "Clear Last User at logon." If that box is checked, then you have to Logon everytime, no matter what else you do.

Not got that installed? OK then try this, get the Win98 CD out of it's box, go to START-SETTINGS-CONTROL PANEL-NETWORK and on the first tab that greets you, click ADD and find CLIENT FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKS. Install it from the CD, REBOOT and if on this occasion you see that screen again, just hit enter.

Don't ask me why this works, I have no idea, but it has bugged me several times in the past and whilst the conventional method normally works, sometimes it doesn't.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back