Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I set up LPD on a Windows 2000 system to print from Unix?

Printing

How do I set up LPD on a Windows 2000 system to print from Unix?

by  FilthPig  Posted    (Edited  )
First you must install Print Services for Unix. To do this, open your Control Panel (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel). Double-Click the Add/Remove programs Icon. Next click on Add/Remove Windows Components on the left side of the window. Scroll down to Other Network File and Print Services, check the box to select it. Click Next, and Windows will install the service.

Next, configure the service to start at boot. Right-click My Computer, and select Manage. Under Services and Applications, click on Services. Scroll down to TCP/IP Print Server, and double-click on it. Change Startup type to Automatic if it is not already. Start the service if it is Stopped.

Now share any printer that is already installed on your Windows 2000 system that you want to be able to remote print to. To do this, click on Start -> Settings -> Printers, and right-click on the printer to be shared if it is not already and select Sharing (the hand icon underneath tells you it's shared). Select Shared as: and type the name of the printer as you want it to appear to the systems it's sharing to. Click OK and your printer is ready to be printed to from Unix.

Set up the remote printer on your Unix system, using the share name you specified as the queue name.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back