Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I transfer all my files over to a new hard drive for the same computer?

PC Hardware - Hard drive issue

How do I transfer all my files over to a new hard drive for the same computer?

by  topscribe  Posted    (Edited  )
Assuming you have the new drive partitioned the way you want, set the jumpers on the new disk as SLAVE to the old one. The process then is step-by-step:

1. First, if you have not done so, make yourself a startup disk on a floppy. You do this in the "Add/Remove Programs" icon in the Control Panel.

2. In Windows Explorer, go into Tools and select "Folder Options." Then click the View tab and select "Show all files." You need to do this, or the hidden files--the ones that run the computer--will not copy onto the new disk.

3. After closing out that menu, stay in Windows Explorer. Be sure you are in the root directory or folder (C:\).

4. Click on the very first folder or file in the right window in Explorer, then go to the very last file or folder, hold down your <SHIFT> key, and click on it to block ALL the files and folders on the disk.

5. Find WIN386.SWP (the swap file) in the root directory. While holding down your <CTRL> key, click on it to DESELECT it. Windows will NOT transfer that file, and if you have not done this, it will stop copying anything at all when it gets to it, and your copying will be incomplete. Windows will create a new swap file for you on the new disk.

6. Now drag and drop the ENTIRE BLOCK of files onto your new disk. It may be D:\ drive, but be sure of that if your old disk has more than one partition. The copying process will start, and it may take a while to complete, depending on how many files are already on the old disk.

7. Remove the old disk and now set the new disk as MASTER/SINGLE. Then reboot the machine. The new disk will take over at this point.

8. If the machine will not boot up on the new disk, take the startup disk you created and boot it up with that. Make sure you are in the A:> drive. Then, at the DOS prompt, type "sys c:". Take out the floppy and reboot. It should be fine now.

9. Finally, run all your applications to make sure they work.

If you have done everything according to these instructions, you will be up and running again without missing a beat. However, BE SURE TO KEEP EVERYTHING INTACT ON YOUR OLD DISK until you have tested everything on your new one.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back