Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers

Effective Forum Participation

Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers

by  onpnt  Posted    (Edited  )
These are some suggestions for posting in the C# (C Sharp) forum. Many of the suggestions are applicable to all forums while some are specific to C#.
[ol]
[li][color red]Do not post homework assignments here[/color]. Read the policy at http://www.tek-tips.com/market.cfm.
[/li]

[li]Don't expect members to write your C# code, though you will often be given working code as part of the answer.
[/li]

[li]Don't expect members to tutor you in C#. There are plenty of online tutorials available.
[/li]

[li]Here are some resources that can help you become a more affective forum member.

http://www.tipmaster.com/includes/goodposts.cfm - 'How To Post A "Good" Question'
FAQ183-3179 - "Learn to Use Tek-Tips Features"
Thread181-473997 - "How To Get Good Answers To Your Questions"
[/li]

[li]If someone posts in the wrong forum, gently direct them to the correct forum and resist the temptation to give an answer. I have to work on this one myself.
[/li]

[li]Make an effort to look in the exstensive MSDN Library and/or other documentation or articles.

Don't be offended if members suggest reading the manual or MSDN for help.
[/li]

[li]Remember to read the FAQs submitted by forum members. They answer many questions. You can also do a keyword search of previous threads to see if someone
already asked the same questions.

If an answer exists in a FAQ or a previous thread, youÆll probably be directed to that FAQ or thread rather than repeating the answer in your thread.

FYI: to direct someone to a FAQ or thread, simply type (or copy and paste) the FAQ or thread
number in your post - [ignore]faq732-4867[/ignore] (FAQ732-4867) or [ignore]thread732-1383776[/ignore] (Thread732-1383776). You don't need to post the shortcut.

We will work on a list of resources for the C# forum and they will hopefully be added to the FAQ shortly
[/li]

[li]Don't post long excerpts from other online sources. Post a link to the source and brief explanation instead. Or relavent code only.
[/li]

[li]Use a descriptive subject. Many of us will skip over reading the post if the subject doesn't indicate the question.

Examples of bad subjects headings:

Does anybody know...
Urgent help needed!
Error message
Basic question
)&*#$^)#&^$ PROGRAM won't ...

Examples of good subject headings:

XML Document manipulation and reading
Validate if file exists with C#
Update several tables in SQL Server from C#
Memory leak problem with routine in C#
[/li]

[li]We want to answer questions. We do tire of answering the same simple question several times per month.
We suggest spending a few minutes trying to find the answer yourself, and then if you can't, post your question. There is a lot of knowledge and help here.
[/li]

[li]Tek-Tips forum members give a lot of credit to those who post questions for whom English is a foreign language. So don't be embarrassed to try.
[/li]

[li]Include the version and service pack of Visual Studio and the .NET Framework you are using because the solution that works in
one version may not work in another. If you are using a SQL Server client tool, ASP, VB, Access, ODBC, ADO, Delphi, Cold Fusion, etc., include information about the tool also.
[/li]

[li]If you are asking a question about a specific task please post what you have thus far. (remember not to post long winded code though. Just relavant problem sections)
[/li]

[li]Provide sample result (or desired result).
[/li]

[li]If you are asking a question about an error you are receiving, please report the exact error message.
Telling us you are getting an error is unlikely to result in a useful response. "My Program errored!!! Please Help."
will not get as quick or accurate reply as "When I run my program from the server it gets a syntax error on this line ... The error mesage is ..."
[/li]

[li]Please acknowledge answers that help. Sometimes an answer is given but the questioner never replies in any way.
It is hard to know if the problem was solved or if the questioner just hasn't seen the answer yet.

If an answer posted in response to your question solved your problem, post a short reply and let everyone know which answer(s) worked for you.
This lets the person who posted the answer and everyone else who reads the thread know which answer was correct for you.
That way other people can benefit from the knowledge base we are building here.

Marking a post as helpful/expert provides positive feedback and lets other members know the thread contains a helpful or expert answer.
Members appreciate receiving recognition but only when deserved.

FYI: You mark a post as Helpful/Expert by clicking on the link found at the bottom of each post.

Mark this post as a helpful/expert post!

If you solve a problem yourself and the solution hasn't been posted, please post the solution. That way, all questions will have the solutions. And all of us can learn from others' experience.
[/li]

[li]When you reply to long threads note the person you are addressing. That way we'll know to whom the post is directed. For example,

onpnt,

I don't think the solution you posted will work in VS.NET 2003 v1.1 Framework. That feature was introduced in VS.NET 2005 v2.0 Framework.
[/li]

[li]Eric S. Raymond has written an excellent article titled "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way." You can read his article by clicking on the following link.

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
[/li]

[li]Avoid posting the same question in multiple forums. Try to determine the best forum for your problem or question and post it there. If in doubt, ask. You'll be directed to another forum if necessary. If you don't get an answer in a reasonable time, then post to a different forum.

Usenet and other newsgroups often allow cross-posting of questions or comments by naming multiple forums or groups. While this is allowed, Netiquette indicates that execessive cross-posting is to be avoided.

Tek-Tips doesn't provide the same cross-post functionality but people will often post in multiple forums. The main problem with this is that other members will not know about the duplicate postings unless they visit all the forums. An answer may be given in one forum, another answer in a second forum and so forth. If the discussion was restricted to one thread, it would be easier to follow up, comment and get closure on a discussion.
[/li]
[/ol]

This FAQ was originally created as a TIP by fluteplr in Thread183-68247. Several other forum members contributed to the TIP. I consolidated the suggestions and posted this FAQ as a reminder. I appreciate the feedback that has helped me improve the FAQ.

This FAQ was originally written by tlbroadbent (faq183-874) It has been posted as a FAQ in many forums. I will update this one but please be aware the contents will vary from forum to forum where it exists.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back