Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to change form properties w/o saving changes.

Form Basics

How to change form properties w/o saving changes.

by  Mabjro  Posted    (Edited  )
I came across this problem because I wanted to create a button that would open a form and change its record source. The problem was that when the user went to close the form, Access prompted the user to save the changes. First, I did not want the changes to be saved and second, if I wanted the changes saved, I would not want the decision to be left up to the user. The solution was to create an instance of the form, and change its properties. An instance only exists while it is open. In fact it is not possible to save its changes. To learn about this do the following;

1. Create two identical tables with 1 field (txtOne).
a. Name one table table1 and the other table2

2. Enter a couple of records with different values in each table.

3. Create a form with a textbox and set the textbox control source to txtOne. Set the Forms record source to table1. Save the form as frmform1.

4. Close the form and create the following procedure.

Sub testFormClass ()
Dim frm1 As Form
Set frm1 = Form_frmForm1
Frm1.RecordSource = ôTable2ö
Frm1.Visible = True
End Sub

Run the procedure and the following happens; You will see the form that you created, but it uses the data from table2. You can add data and browse records. When you close this form, you will not be prompted to save changes and the original form1 still has its original record source.
"Table1"

You can learn more about this by going to www.microsoft.com/accessdev/articles/vba00572.htm.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back