Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

10/100Base-T MCC/SCC Cabinet Backplane Upgrade

Miscellaeneous

10/100Base-T MCC/SCC Cabinet Backplane Upgrade

by  PBXTech  Posted    (Edited  )
When you need to upgrade your Legacy Definity MCC or SCC cabinets to achieve 100MB Full connectivity for LAN enabled TN boards, you will need a kit from Avaya. This kit contains an instruction sheet, small label for the front to be placed just below the slot on the front of the cabinet/carrier (this identifies a slot that has been upgraded), and the new Tight Twisted pair IO cable that is CAT5 rated that goes from the actual backplane of the carrier to the amphenol support frame.

The Comcode for the whole kit is 700234032. That includes the Tight Twisted IO Cable, Instruction Sheet and the little '10/100' sticker that goes on the front of the TN board slot of the MCC/SCC cabinet.

For just the little label, because it will drop out of the bag unnoticed and you'll lose it if you're not careful is Comcode 700234024.

Can you replace it hot? I've done it hot, but it is safer to do it when the carrier/cabinet is down. Its those darn round ferrites that get in the way of making it an easy job. I wouldn't do it in the E carrier of an MCC hot for sure. You wouldn't want to touch anything in the 'power' area while swapping the Tight Twisted IO Cables. You might get a shock. Not that I've ever, ever had that happen to me.

Just read the instruction sheet and get the colors right. Have a small flashlight so you can see. To unclip the old red/white IO cable amphenol end, you'll use your index fingers and push down and up on small clips on the top and bottom of the amphenol connector.
When putting on the new IO cable, put each backplane side on separately. If you're working on the left side of the cabinet, put that side of the IO cable on first. The right of the cabinet....do the right side first. Doing this allows you to see the installation of both halves of the backplane connector.

You will also need the ip media processor adapter to get 100mbps, otherwise you can use a 259a and get 10mbps. Its a black adapter...comcode 848525887.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back