Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I create multiple and independent tables of contents in a single Word document?

How to

How can I create multiple and independent tables of contents in a single Word document?

by  BlueHorizon  Posted    (Edited  )
It is becoming increasingly more common for documents to have more than one Table of Contents, and you can accomplish this in Word 2002 by using a combination of the Bookmark and Field features.

Marking the individual sections for each TOC
1. Mark the TOC entries using the Alt+Shift+O command or by applying Heading Styles.
2. After all entries have been marked, highlight the text in the section that contains the entries for the first Table of Contents.
3. On the Insert menu, select Bookmark.
4. In the Bookmark name window, use a unique name to identify the bookmark, i.e., TOC1. Do not use any spaces in the title.
5. Click on Add.
6. Repeat these steps for each portion of the document for which you want to create a separate Table of Contents, using the unique bookmark names you created, such as TOC2, TOC3, etc.

Generating the individual TOCs
1. Place your cursor where the first TOC should be placed.
2. On the Insert menu, select Field.
3. Click the drop down arrow in the Categories window and select Indexes and Tables.
4. Select TOC in the Field names window.
5. Click the Field Codes button at the bottom of the screen.
6. Click the Options button next to the Field Codes button.
7. In the window on the right of the Field Options dialog box, select /b from the list.
8. Make sure there is a single space after the /b.
9. Enter the name of the Bookmark that applies to portion of text that belongs in this Table of Contents, i.e., TOC1.
10. Click OK.
11. Click OK again.
12. Word will generate a Table of Contents based only the contents of the Bookmark.
13. Repeat these steps for each individual Table of Contents.

I just wanted to share the fruits of my research.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back