Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why does Internet Explorer give me errors?

Internet Explorer - Hijacked..

Why does Internet Explorer give me errors?

by  TumbleWeed2000  Posted    (Edited  )
Internet Explorer (IE) is very susceptible to being hijacked by other programs.

Some of these programs may be helpful, some are malicious in there intent, some are well writen and some poorly writen. It is usually the poorly writen ones that make IE unstable. Most of these programs are known as Browser Helper Objects or BHO's for short.

BHO's can get installed because a user chooses to install it or because a website surepticiously forces it onto the computer.

BHO's are quickly being recognised as spyware. For various reasons some BHO's are and others are not.

Spyware is a term that is still growing. A meaning of spyware could be summerized as: Software that is installed on a computer, that reports back to another computer. Usually this type of software is installed unknowingly by a user, and increasingly through hidden methods. But also by force through free programs, (like Kazaa, IMesh etc...).

As for the errors that IE generates, most can be fixed by removing the hidden spyware and BHO's on the computer. If IE continues to be problematic then a IE repair should be initiated.

There is help for spyware removal. So far the best product I've seen is Spybot Search & Destroy. The best BHO remover I've seen is Hijack this. Both are available from a website called Lurke Here. Its at http://www.lurkhere.com and the download page is reached by clicking the "Nice Files" button on the top left corner.

Repairing IE should be done after any removal of spyware and BHO's. If you are not up to the latest version of IE then upgrade first, that should fix it right there. If you are on the latest version and have removed the spyware and BHO's, but continue to have problems... Well then you'll have to download the ie6setup and rerun the install. Becareful to choose re-install all components.

With a bit of luck (maybe lots of it) all you'll have to do is rid yourself of the spyware and remove the BHO's

Goodluck!
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back