Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Restore System With Jumpstart and Veritas Netbackup

Administration

Restore System With Jumpstart and Veritas Netbackup

by  coffeysm  Posted    (Edited  )
I tested this method using the latest version of Veritas Netbackup. I imagine it could be done using another piece of software such as Legato.

I had a catastrophic failure a sysadmin installed the latest patch cluster, then removed it because it broke some software. That did not fully fix the problem, and then he decided to perform a FULL RESTORE ON A LIVE SYSTEM. I had a couple of options available, but I decided to try something new.

I setup my Jumpstart server to be the boot server for my machine that ended up becoming corrupted. I performed this as follows:
Code:
1. Add MAC address to /etc/ethers

2. Add IP Address to /etc/hosts

3. cd /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools

4. ./add_install_client -s jumpstart:/jumpstart -c jumpstart:/jumpstart -p jumpstart:/jumpstart machine_name sun4u

Then I tarred the Veritas Netbackup Client Software from my jumpstart server (it gets backed up), to the mini-root of boot area.

5. cd /usr

6. tar cvf openv.tar openv

Next copy your /etc/shadow, /etc/inet/services, /etc/inetd.conf, and /etc/default/login with the CONSOLE line commented out.

7. cp /etc/shadow /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/etc
8. cp /etc/inet/services /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/etc/inet
9. cp /etc/inet/inetd.conf /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/etc/inet
10. cp /etc/default/login /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/etc/default

Move your openv.tar file to the mini-root user location

11. mv /usr/openv.tar /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/usr

12. cd /jumpstart/Solaris_8/Tools/Boot/usr && tar xvf openv.tar

Netbackup uses a Java GUI that is why you need to copy the  services and inetd.conf files.  The shadow and edited /etc/default/login file will allow you to telnet into the remote server as root.

Now we are ready to rebuild the server
At the ok> prompt type:

13. boot net

14. On mine it loaded OpenWindows and then stopped, since there was no CD Media.

Open a command tool and start the inetd daemon.

15. /usr/sbin/inetd -s

Now you should be able to connect using your Veritas Netbackup Client Software I have copy locally on my box.

16. Login

17. Restore whatever you need.  If you have separate partitions as I did (/,/opt, /var, /usr, etc...), then you probably want to mount those separately after each successfull restore.  You can do this by telneting in remotely if you wish.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back