Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

MY 56K MODEM DOES NOT CONNECT AT 56K

MODEM SPEED

MY 56K MODEM DOES NOT CONNECT AT 56K

by  clivo  Posted    (Edited  )
Many users complain that although they have a 56K modem, they frequently connect at speeds of 33.6K or slower. The reason for this are varied. Firstly, there are various technologies in use; x2, K56Flex, V90 and V34. The industry has mostly standardized with V90. The following are pre-rquisites for 56K connection using V90 technology:

1. Digital at one end. Today, most service providers have digital connections to the PSTN. One end of an V.90 connection must terminate at a digital circuit, meaning a ôtrunk-sideö channelized T1, ISDN PRI, or ISDN BRI. ôLine-sideö T1 will not work because additional analog-to-digital and digital- to-analog conversions are added. In a trunk-side configuration, once the userÆs analog call is converted to digital and sent through the carrier network, the call stays digital until it reaches a digital modem through a T1, PRI, or BRI circuit.

2. V.90 support at both ends. V.90 must be supported on both ends of the connection, by the analog modem as well as by the remote access server or modem pool at the host end. Typically, the remote user will be using a 3Com Courier, U.S. Robotics, Megahertz « , or other brand V.90 modem dialing into a 3Com U.S. Robotics MP I-modem, NETServer I-modem, Courier I-modem, SuperStack II Remote Access System 1500, Total Control remote access concentrator, or other brand V.90 digital modem.

3. One analog-to-digital conversion. There can be only one analog-to-digital conversion in the phone network along the path of the call between the V.90 digital modem and the analog modem. If the line is a channelized T1, it must be ôtrunk-sideö and not ôline-side.ö With line-side service from the phone company, there is typically an additional analog-to-digital conversion.

The most common reason for V.90 failure is the ATD (Analogue To Digital Conversion) issue. If a user has the correct modem drivers loaded and the ISP supports V.90, the only reason for failure is line issues. Users should also note that any connection faster than V34 (33.6K) is V.90.

A user can check which protocol is being used by recording the session to a log file and examining it afterwards: >settings>control panel>modems>properties>connection>advanced and tick append to log file. Go to same place and click view log file.

Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back