Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can I recover my enable password using SNMP

Cisco:Switches

How can I recover my enable password using SNMP

by  fynx  Posted    (Edited  )
*** This method has now been superseded by the method descibed here

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094aa6.shtml

*** Although the method below may still work for *much* older versions of IOS.

Taken from CISCO routers forum, "How do I reset the enable secret password using SNMP faq557-705 "

There is lots of information to recover lost passwords on the Cisco Website. Most, if not all, involve having console access to the switch - but say the Switch is on the other side of the world?
Answer - Use 3 simple steps via SNMP...

1. Read the config to a tftp serverà

"snmpset -c <write community string> <switchIP/name> .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.ipaddress.of.tftpserver octetstring <filename on server>"

2. Next edit the configuration substituting the new, plain text, enable secret password and save it back to a tftp server.

"enable secret <new password>"

3. Then tell the switch to boot the config on your tftp server.

"snmpset -c <write community string> <switchIP/name> .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.50.ip.address.of.tftpserver octetstring <filename on server>"

And the new config is running, telnet/ssh to the router and try your new passwordà then copy the running config to startupà

Hope this is of some use to someone somewhere...
Good Luck.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back