Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ANE4172I, ANE4173I misleading by displaying 'VMware' instead of 'Hyper-V'

ADSM/TSM Troubleshooting Tips

ANE4172I, ANE4173I misleading by displaying 'VMware' instead of 'Hyper-V'

by  LED888  Posted    (Edited  )
Problem
An Hyper-V guest backup start message ANE4172I and end message ANE4173I in the Server activity log displays 'VMware' instead of 'Hyper-V'

Symptom
The following Server activity log messages :
ANE4172I (Session: xxx, Node: <target node>) Starting Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine '<guest name>' mode: 'Incremental Forever - Full' target node name: '<target node>' data mover node name: '<agent node>' application protection type: 'Hyper-V' application(s) protected: 'n/a' (SESSION: xxx)
and
ANE4173I (Session: xxx, Node: <target node>) Successful Full VM backup of VMware Virtual Machine '<guest name>' mode: 'Incremental Forever - Incremental' target node name: '<target node>' data mover node name: '<agent node>' (SESSION: xxx)
are the same for any supported Virtual Environment (VMware or Hyper-V) guest backup.

Cause
Internal code design.

Environment
These misleading messages will be seen for all supported Server version previous to 7.1.1 on any platform and are independent from the client version.

Diagnosing the problem
While the ANE4172I and ANE4173I message will display 'VMware' in the text instead of the expected 'Hyper-V', in the Client backup output messages or in the scheduler service log, the backup starting and ending messages are differentiated correctly :
Starting Full VM backup of 'Hyper-V' Virtual Machine '<guest name>'
mode: 'Incremental Forever - Full'
target node name: '<target node>'
data mover node name: '<agent node>'
application protection type: 'Hyper-V'
application(s) protected: 'n/a'
Successful Full VM backup of 'Hyper-V' Virtual Machine '<guest name>'
mode: 'Incremental Forever - Full'
target node name: '<target node>'
data mover node name: '<agent node>'
In the Server 'summary_extended' table, the correct Hypervisor reference will be stored as well.

Resolving the problem
This is a cosmetic issue and does not affect the functionality of the backups.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back