Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is XML and what do we do with it?

XML 101

What is XML and what do we do with it?

by  DougP  Posted    (Edited  )
XML, the extensible markup language, is a platform-independent language describing data. The XML and related specifications, as well as the document Object Model, have all been developed with language independence in mind. This was done to allow any programmer to use theses powerful protocols and object models in their own language of choice, thus providing a huge development potential for the XML community and offering a myriad of opportunities to developers working with established technologies. This is in essence the beauty of XML. Quote taken from ôProfessional ASP XMLö book from Wrox, ISBN 1861004028

What does all that mean.
Example If you are creating a Purchase Order in your system and you wanted the Vendor who you buy from to get your order without having to key anything in. Even if they have a completely different system. You can using XML. The XML document would have all of the pertinent information such as PO number Items ordered and shipping address. Etc etc.
Now their system would take your XML electronic document and read it in, and update their system to process your order. So instead of sending Faxes or making phone calls. You would send each other XML documents that both systems will read and understand.

Are you hearing E-commerce?? If I wanted to order from My Vendor wouldnÆt it be great if my order just showed up in his system and when he started processing it, my system would say so.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back