Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find more information on data mining?

Data Mining

Where can I find more information on data mining?

by  Predictor  Posted    (Edited  )
There is a large amount of high-quality material available for free on the World Wide Web. I have found these search engines to be especially useful:

AlltheWeb (www.alltheweb.com)
Dogpile (www.dogpile.com)
Google (www.google.com)
Teoma (www.teoma.com)
Yahoo! (www.yahoo.com)

Here are some searching tips:

Include "PDF" or "PPT" as a keyword: Documents in the Adobe Acrobat or PowerPoint formats are often better written and more polished than the usual stuff found online.

Include phrases such as "course notes", "class readings" or "lecture notes"- these tend to find college professors' Web pages, which are typically well-organized and better written than the average Web page.

Also consider investigating KDnuggets (www.kdnuggets.com) and Citeseer (www.citeseer.com), which is a search engine of technical papers.

Also, here are some titles I recommend:

"Computer Systems That Learn" by Weiss and Kulikowski
"Data Mining" by Witten and Frank
"Data Mining, Concepts and Techniques", by Han and Kamber
"Predictive Data Mining" by Weiss and Indurkhya

Books like these are reviewed in "Will's Technical Book List", which you can find at:

http://will.dwinnell.com/will/willTechnicalPublications.html
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back