Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is required to run ASP

ASP 101

What is required to run ASP

by  Karl Blessing  Posted    (Edited  )
Some of the other FAQ may mention this, but in my opinion there seems to be a growing number of users who do not realize the reasources required for running ASP (Active Server Pages)

there are three major things (3rd one optional, but recomended)

1. A Server
The Server must be one of the 2
Windows NT 4 w/ SP4 or higher
Windows 2000
Win98 (read info in #2)

2. A WebServer installed on the server
WinNT4 must have IIS4 installed
Windows 2000 must have IIS5 installed

Any non-server Windows OS, can use PWS as an ASP hosting
but this is highly unrecomended, as it is basically an
unsecure toy that only allows 10 connections at a time

3. A IDE (Interface Development Enviroment , I get that right?)
Two development enviroments I am familiar with are
Borland UltraDev
and
Microsoft Visual Interdev (most popular and recomended)

if you are wondering, if your free hosting provider (geocities, tripod, freeservers, etc) supports ASP, the answer is 99% no.

however there is only one (semi-reliable) hosting provider for free, that supports ASP (with limitations) and thats brinkster.com

Note: It is possible to run ASP off a Unix server, however this requires that Apache webserver is installed, and includes the patch/update from I belive chilesoft that allows Apache to execute ASP, this is in my opinion, much more of a beta/experimental than PWS, although I have heard it is least more secure than using PWS(Personal Web Server)
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back