Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

change the Properties of a movie-clip in relation to the cursor position

Step-by-step tutorial

change the Properties of a movie-clip in relation to the cursor position

by  davdesign  Posted    (Edited  )
[color green]Just to let you know that I'm relocating my server as of today, and for a period of three to four weeks, none of the links to my files on this site will work.

If you need a file from me which is linked from this site then please just email me details of the relevant link and I will send the relevant file(s) to you.

After I've relocated the server and all the files within it I shall endeavour to update all links in Tek-Tips.[/color]

Hi again.

This tutorial offers a simple step-by-step method of changing the Alpha setting of a movie-clip in relation to the position of the mouse-cursor. The following links provide other possibilites which utilise this method:

Altering scale 1
this utilises the _xscale and _yscale properties. Note in the actionscripting that it is necessary to square and then sq-root the variables at the end of the script in order for the movie to remain 'positive' when the variables are negative.
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/scale.html
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/scale.zip

Altering scale 2
A variation of the above such that the extra scripting to make the variables positive is not required
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/width-height.html
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/width-height.zip

Altering scale (2) and rotation
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/width-height-rotation.html
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/width-height-rotation.fla​

view my example
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/alpha.html
download the fla
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/alpha.fla​

Step 1---[color green]Create the movie-clip[/color]
Nice n easy. Just create your movie-clip by hitting Ctrl+F8 and drag a copy of it onto the main stage (frame1), note the dimensions of the clip and it's position on-screen, you'll need these values for the scripting. Give the clip an Instance name (in my fla the instance name is "drag") by selecting the clip and pressing Ctrl+i, and use the instance panel.

the main timeline
[img http://www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/alpha.gif]​

Step 2---[color green]Create the drag-controller[/color]
Press Ctrl+F8 to create another movie-clip. This time, don't put ANYTHING in the movie-clip. Come back to the main stage and drag a copy of this clip onto the main stage (frame1). Give it an instance name (in my fla the instance name is "clip") . It doesn't matter where you position the clip in the movie.

Step 3---[color green]Insert the scripting[/color]
It's best to always put your main actions on a separate layer. In this case the actions need to be on the same level as the two movie-clips. So just insert a layer in the main timeline and give the layer the name Actions. Insert the following actions into the first frame:[color red]
[color blue]// ACTIONS TO CHANGE THE ALPHA VALUE OF A MOVIE-CLIP
// IN RELATION TO THE CURSOR POSITION ON THE SCREEN
// made for Dazron at Tek-Tips by davdesign@pinkzeppelin.com
// F5 version
//
// start dragging the control clip and determine the mouse position[/color]
startDrag ("_root.drag", true);
/:posx = getproperty(_root.drag, _X);
/:posy = getproperty(_root.drag, _y);
[color blue]// define the centre of the movie-clip undergoing alpha changes
// (from here on referred to as the alpha-clip)[/color]
/:xcent = "300";
/:ycent = "300";
[color blue]// determine the horixontal and vertical distances of the
// mouse from the centre of the alpha-clip[/color]
/:xx = /:posx-/:xcent;
/:yy = /:posy-/:ycent;
[color blue]// calculate the square of the horizontal and vertical
// sides of pythagoras triangle[/color]
/:xx2 = /:xx * /:xx;
/:yy2 = /:yy * /:yy;
[color blue]// calculate the hypoteneuse side of the triangle
// the exact distance from the centre of the alpha-clip to the mouse[/color]
/:zz = Math.sqrt (/:xx2+/:yy2);
[color blue]// Determine whether the mouse is over the alpha-clip or not.
// NOTE: if you make your alpha-clip a button then you could set
// actions on the button such that 'On Rollover' a variable is set to '1'
// and on rollout a variable is set to '0'
// The following 'If' statement would then simplify to (if (variable=1))........[/color]
if ((/:posx>200) and (/:posx<300) and (/:posy>200) and (/:posy<300)) {
setProperty ("_root.clip", _alpha, "100");
} else {
[color blue]// set the alpha value of the alpha-clip dependent on the
// length of the hypoteneuse calculated previously.
// You would change the value '5' to suit the dimensions of your movie.[/color]
setProperty ("_root.clip", _alpha, 100-((/:zz)/5));
}
[/color]

Step 4---[color green]Inserting blank frames[/color]
Finally, 'insert frames' into frame 2 on all layers. Do this by right-clicking on the first frame of each layer and selecting 'insert frame' from the pop-up menu.

OK, you've done it. Just hit Ctrl+<Enter> to test.

FLASH 4 USERS
Because Flash 4 does not have an inherent Square Root function, you have to do the calculation long-windedly. This is done by re-jigging the main scripting to reference a 'square root calculator' in the frame labelled 'root' which is 'called' to perform the calculation with each loop of the movie. The value returned from the 'calculator' replaces the variable /:zz in the Flash5 version.

www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/alpha-v4.html
www.pinkzeppelin.com/FAQ/250-587/alpha-v4.fla​

enjoy
dave

ps: If you do find this tutorial helpful in any way, please let me know by Rating the tutorial or e-mailing me with comments. Tutorials take longer to create than your average post and it would inspire me to create more tutorials if I knew that they were being put to use rather than being a waste of my time. Cheers peeps!
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back