Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is the best codec to use for exporting?

Exporting

What is the best codec to use for exporting?

by  EdwardMartinIII  Posted    (Edited  )
Here's a simple guide to determining the best export codec. I could just tell you, but where would be the fun in that?

[ol]
[li]If your project already demands a specific codec (such as you're exporting elementary streams for DVD production) than just use those codecs and skip the rest of this.[/li]
[li]Select a 5-minute chunk of your project (if your project is less than five minutes, skip this step), preferably a scene that's dear to you.[/li]
[li]Export just that chunk using a variety of codecs. Use Quicktime codecs (Sorenson 3 is my favorite), AVI codecs, mpeg codecs, whatever. Also, export an uncompressed Quicktime and AVI, so you can compare against a "perfect" version.[/li]
[li]Play the different files.[/li]
[li]Sort your results by which file looks best to you.[/li]
[li]Starting with the one that looked best to you, multiply files sizes to estimate how big your final project will be. For example, if your 5-minute chunk was 8M in size, then the 100-minute movie will be about 20 times that, or 160M.[/li]
[li]Pick the largest estimated-size that'll work for you.[/li]
[li]That's the best codec to use.[/li]
[/ol]

Not all codecs are alike. Some do great on one type of project and crappy on another. Some are just the opposite.

If you can think of anything else to add to this, let me know!

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back