Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why can't I import my file?

Importing files

Why can't I import my file?

by  EdwardMartinIII  Posted    (Edited  )
There are lots of different reasons why files can't be imported. I'll list a few here to start -- drop me a note if you want to add more and I'll keep the list up.

[ul]
[li]If it's a still, such as a JPG or a GIF, try updating your copy of Quicktime and rebooting.[/li]
[li]If it's an MPG file and the filename is *.MPE, try changing it to *.MPG[/li]
[li]Sometimes, Premiere won't import an MPG of any sort. In that case, use (for example) Windows MovieMaker (it's free!) to convert that MPG file to an uncompressed AVI. Premiere ought to be able to nom-nom that file![/li]
[li]Make sure the file exists in the same directory in which you're looking (I know, this should be obvious, but still...)[/li]
[li]If the file wasn't recorded on that machine, then you might not have the proper codec in your machine. Contact the source of the file and see if you can get the proper codec. You might be able to find out which codec it is by looking at the properties of the file.[/li]
[/ul]

Note that these are all issues relating to Premiere. It is possible that your system has a problem, in which case Premiere is the least of your worries. One way of figuring out if you have a systemic problem is to see if you can play your clip in all of your other various multimedia viewers (such as Real, Quicktime, Windows Media player, etc.) If you cannot, then you are looking at a system-wide problem. It probably isn't a Premiere problem unless Premiere is the only tool failing.

If this doesn't answer your question, please post it to the forum and drop me a note to update this FAQ.

Cheers,

[monkey] Edward [monkey]
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back