Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

A Case Insensitive ArrayList class

Add-in and tools

A Case Insensitive ArrayList class

by  Ruffnekk  Posted    (Edited  )
Some time ago I stumbled upon a problem with the ArrayList class. I was writing an application to have my documents from various network locations synchronized to a single folder. I used ArrayLists to hold the files in the various folders and compared the entries to see what is different. The problem was the an entry "my Excel File.xls" would be seen different than "My excel file.XLS", i.e. the arraylist is case sensitive when comparing string values.

I solved this by writing a class derived from the Arraylist class, adding case insensitive functionality. Here's the code:

Construct a new instance:

Code:
Public Class CaseInsensitiveArrayList
  Inherits ArrayList

Public Sub New()
    MyBase.New()
  End Sub

Define a function to search the arraylist for the provided value, ignoring the character casing:

Code:
  Private Function SearchEntry(ByVal value As Object) As String
    Dim SearchValue As String = Convert.ToString(value).ToLower

For Each Entry As String In Me
      If Entry.ToLower = SearchValue Then
        Return Entry
      End If
    Next

Return Nothing
  End Function

The function first converts the given value to a string, and sets all casing to lowercase. Next it loops through the values in the arraylist (Me) and compares the given value to the current value in the list in lowercase. If the values match, the entry is returned, retaining it's original casing. If the value was not found, Nothing is returned.

Next I had to override all methods that use a given value to perform an action. I started with the Contains function:

Code:
  Public Overrides Function Contains(ByVal value As Object) As Boolean
    If SearchEntry(value) Is Nothing Then
      Return False
    Else
      Return True
    End If
  End Function

This code is straightforward; if the given value matched an entry in the arraylist then this function returns True, otherwise it return False.

In the same manner the methods IndexOf and LastIndexOf and their overloaded versions have to be overridden:

Code:
  Public Overloads Overrides Function IndexOf(ByVal value As Object) As Integer
    Dim Entry As String = SearchEntry(value)

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.IndexOf(Entry)
    End If
  End Function

Public Overloads Overrides Function IndexOf(ByVal value As Object, ByVal startIndex As Integer) As Integer

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.IndexOf(Entry, startIndex)
    End If
  End Function

Public Overloads Overrides Function IndexOf(ByVal value As Object, ByVal startIndex As Integer, ByVal count As Integer) As Integer

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.IndexOf(Entry, startIndex, count)
    End If
  End Function

Public Overloads Overrides Function LastIndexOf(ByVal value As Object) As Integer

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.LastIndexOf(Entry)
    End If
  End Function

Public Overloads Overrides Function LastIndexOf(ByVal value As Object, ByVal startIndex As Integer) As Integer

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.LastIndexOf(Entry, startIndex)
    End If
  End Function

Public Overloads Overrides Function LastIndexOf(ByVal value As Object, ByVal startIndex As Integer, ByVal count As Integer) As Integer

If Entry Is Nothing Then
      Return -1
    Else
      Return MyBase.LastIndexOf(Entry, startIndex, count)
    End If
  End Function

As you can see, the functions first check to see wether the value exists in the arraylist, disregarding the character casing, and then uses it's base to perform the relevant method on the entry.

Last I had to override the Remove method to correctly allow an entry to be removed:

Code:
  Public Overrides Sub Remove(ByVal value As Object)

If Entry Is Nothing Then Return
    MyBase.Remove(Entry)
  End Sub
End Class

This overridden method also uses it's base to handle the removing itself on the correct entry.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back