Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I make an .MDE file

Access 101

How do I make an .MDE file

by  DougP  Posted    (Edited  )
This is a step by step of how itÆs done if you want to know more and why, read my other FAQ "What is a .MDE and why do I need it?" faq181-91

First of all everyone has to out of the database. Second any VBA code that is not syntax free will prevent making a .MDE. If you have a function half done either REM out the code or delete it. You can easily find errors by opening the VBA code window and Click "Debug" menu item and "Compile ALL". It will stop on anything not working. REMark it out by putting a single quote in front of the line(s) ' xxxxx . Press the enter key and the code should turn green in color.

Preferred Steps to make a .MDE (you will end up with 3 files, the original .MDB and new backend _BE and a new .MDE
Open the .MDB close any forms or anything that opens automatically so the only thing open is the main window.

Step1. Make a Backend database file (_BE)
--> In Access æ97
Click ôToolsö menu then ôAdd-Insö then ôDatabase Splitterö then follow the prompts in a couple of seconds you will have a backend. Also you will notice that all of the tables have a little black arrow in front to them this means they are linked.
--> In Access 2000
Click ôToolsö menu then ôUtilitiesö then ôDatabase Splitterö then follow the prompts in a couple of seconds you will have a backend. Also you will notice that all of the tables have a little black arrow in front to them this means they are linked.

Step2. Make the .MDE (This works in Access Æ97 or 2000)
Click the ôToolsö menu then ôDatabase Utilitiesö, Make MDE file...
(This may take a while depending on the size of your database) (If you have any kind of Error, note it and come back here to tek-tips for help)

The second time I create an .MDE I rename the original .MDE to xxxx-OLD.mde. So if there is a major problem I can just delete the new .MDE and rename the original back.

So you should have 3 files now
xxxx.MDB < original editable code
xxxx_BE.MDB < back end with just data
xxxx.MDE < new executable code

So now when you need to change the .MDB and you make a new .MDE the data is setting in a 3rd database xxxx_BE.MDB and does not get overwritten.

Make frequent Backups of all 3 databases!!!!!

ThatÆs it
Make sure your users Icons are pointing to the .MDE

Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back