Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I get Paradox to run reliably on Vista?

Paradox on Vista

How do I get Paradox to run reliably on Vista?

by  TonyMcGuire  Posted    (Edited  )
The BDE is the shortcoming, configuring it is the answer.

Make a copy of the idapi32.cfg file (normally found in "program files\common files\borland\bde", I believe) in a directory OUTSIDE the 'program files' directory (folder, to you young folks).

Start the BDE Admin by going to the bde directory in Windows Exploder, and right-clicking - 'as Administrator'. ** DO NOT ** use the Control Panel icon to start the BDE Admin!

'Open configuration' on that cfg you copied (under 'Object' menu). Make changes, if necessary, particularly to the netdir (CAN NOT reside in c:\ root under Vista), and save.

When you exit, you should be asked if this is to be your default config file. Answer YESYESYES.

Away you should go!

This has cleared all issues under Vista, that happen only under Vista, that I've heard about on various newsgroups.

Well, almost.

For Paradox 10 and later there is still the error on exiting Paradox. This can be taken care of with the code snippet below; you can execute this any time after starting Paradox EACH TIME; likely a startup script candidate.

Code:
sysinfo(dy)   ;dy.view()
s=dy["WindowsVersion"]
s=s.substr(1,1)      ;s.view()
if s="6" then  ;Vista
  Execute("TaskKill.exe /F /IM TaskEng.exe", No, ExeHidden)
endif

Since posting this, a more reliable routine for suppressing the 'error on exit' has been found.

Code:
sysinfo(dy)   ;dy.view()
s=dy["WindowsVersion"]
s=s.substr(1,1)      ;s.view()
if s="6" then  ;Vista
    try
        exit()
        Execute("TaskKill.exe /IM PDXRWN32.exe /F /T", No, ExeHidden)
        return
    onfail
      errorclear()
      exit()
      return
    endtry
endif

This kills the Paradox task, as well as Paradox exiting immediately. After dozens of exits, I've not seen the 'error on exit' from Vista.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back