Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Why Aren't Parameter Fields' Default Values Dynamic?

Report Development

Why Aren't Parameter Fields' Default Values Dynamic?

by  dgillz  Posted    (Edited  )
This feature is not supported in any of crystal decisions' products, and the only thing I can offer is workarounds.

If the parameter field is for a fairly static value, such as customers (most companies will not add more than a few new customers per week), you can probably get by with deleting and re-importing the default values once a week or so.

If the parameter is for a very non-static value such as Sales Order number (with potentially hundreds of new values per day) this obviously will not work.

On the internet I recently found a "picklist creator" for Crystal Reports for just this type of situation at www.infotrain.com. I have not experimented with this yet but I think it would be possible to use this application in to automatically update the default values for parameters.

If you are adept at using VB and Crystal, I believe a you could create a valid workaround with VB as well.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back