Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I use Internet email certificates with GroupWise?

Novell: GroupWise

How do I use Internet email certificates with GroupWise?

by  jaminjim  Posted    (Edited  )
First - some cautions-
You must be using GroupWise 5.5 to do this, my client version is 5.5.2.1.
Be sure to register your certificate in the name (alias) that your correspondents see. Otherwise, the cert won't decrypt properly. You may have to experiment with several 'names' to get that right. I first registered my preferred alias, that didn't decrypt at the other end. Then my user id. Same result. The one that finally worked was the alias that GroupWise sends to Internet correspondents so that is the one that you should register. If you need to experiment, you can get multiple free certs at www.thawte.com .

So here is how to get started...

Step1: GET THE CERTIFICATE: Use your browser (IE or Netscape) and get your certificate from the CA (Verisign or wherever).

Step2: EXPORT THE CERTIFICATE: Locate the certificate in your browser (IE = internet options -> certificates -> (select cert) -> export)
(Netscape = security -> certificates -> yours -> (select cert) -> export)

Pick a location on your drive to save the certificate file (I chose winnt/system32/certsrv/certControl/x86) and save the certfile there.

Step3: IMPORT THE CERT INTO GROUPWISE: Note: you must be using GroupWise 5.5 to do this, my client version is 5.5.2.1).
In GroupWise 5.5 client go to tools -> options -> my certificates ->import ->{browse to cert file you just saved} ->enter password -> click ok.
set the cert as the default.

that should do it.
Register to rate this FAQ  : BAD 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GOOD
Please Note: 1 is Bad, 10 is Good :-)

Part and Inventory Search

Back