Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Pro and restricted user 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KeyTech

Programmer
Nov 14, 2000
KR
Hey guys,
how can I restrict a Restricted User from accessing the Add/Remove Programs feature in the Control Panel. Or if I could restrict the Control Panel itself that would be even better!
The XP machine is stand alone, so obviously no network rights can be granted.
I haven't tried, but could I add in the key of something like:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Control Panel (or \add remove programs???)
and then add in a DWORD value of Execution and set it to 1
Would that work???
Or!....is there even a way to get rid of the shortcut to add/remove prog's from the control panel???? something that 'simple' would do the trick!
Thanks for your time.... Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

From what I thought, a restricted user may be able to access the Control Panel but that does not mean they can actually add or remove the programs just because they can see them. Otherwise, there is a program called ForTres that is easy to use and you can tell it which icons or programs that you want to lock unless they know the password.

Thanks bgauntt,
the restircted users can still go in and actually remove the programs...
that ForTres software...is it freeware? Jay~

My new Tae Kwon Do website is up and running!!

~KeyTech

You could use group policy editor (run gpedit.msc) to remove add/remove programs (I think it affects all users - but as an Administrator you could re-enable it when you wanted to use it, and then remove it again when finished).

User configuration, Administrative templates, control panel, add/remove programs, remove add/remove programs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back