Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP doesn't recognize NUML or CAPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

amartureo

Programmer
May 1, 2002
US
I've added some XP Professional computers to my 98SE LAN. My office management program runs in DOS FP. I've always used = NUML(.T.) and = CAPS(.T.) to insure that the keyboard is formatted for my users. The XP computers just ignore the code. What's up with that? How do I get the XP computers to start with CAPSLOCK and NUMLOCK on?

This was true in NT, 2000 and now 2003 as well as XP. These OSs don't allow direct access to the hardware, and FP DOS doesn't have anyway to use the appropriate Win API calls to accomplish this.

You'll need ask the user to check and change this setting if necessary.

Rick

By the way, I did some checking on XP Pro SP2, and in FP DOS it seems to always report the same values regardless of the actual settings and what you do to change it in code.

In FPW (2.6a), the code seems to work right, but it doesn't change the keyboard light! This could be very confusing to the user.

In VFP (5.0 SP3 -> 9.0 beta), it seems to work exactly as you'd expect it - just like FPD did under DOS and the DOS based Windows OSs (Win 3.x, Win 9x). :)

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back