Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xerox 8550 Tray selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sfinkernagel

Technical User
Mar 10, 2006
US
Just wondering- Is there any way to set up the 8550 to automatically use the paper in tray one when it is opened and available? Currently it will select tray 2 unless I remember to change the tray in the printer driver each time. I had an old HP laserjet which would automatically select the "special tray" if it was loaded, I guess that spoiled me!

I have an 8400. Perhaps the setup is the same since it is essentially the same machine (at least that is what Xerox tells me- a little faster and different ink formula.)

Using Windows? If so, Start/Control Panel/Printers. Rt Click on your xerox. Properties... Printing Preferences. Paper Quality tab. Force Printing from a Specific Tray.

But, this makes my 8400 always prompt me for the paper for Tray 1. You mentioned an HP laserjet, which I have and I remember how if it senses paper in tray one, it will feed from that regardless of the size you need- which stinks if you just left some nice paper in tray 1. I don't think the xerox works that way. It is a good bit "smarter" than my old HP. It will consider your page size before just using up your good paper! I think that even if you close the tray, it will want you to feed from Tray 1 (or whichever tray specified).

Now if you use the same size paper all the time, ie. letter size, then you are in good shape and it will only select from the tray you specify. You can leave it empty and let it prompt you for paper, feeding it basic white or nicer letterhead with more ease than opening the bottom tray.

Nick

Can you change the paper type on the printer for tray 1? Tell the printer that it is a special type of paper, whereas tray 2 would still be set as plain. Then tell all of the print jobs that you want printed to tray 1 that they need this same "special" paper. Whenever you try to print the job, the printer should prompt for the special paper in tray 1.

Have a nice day today, and a better day tomorrow!!!

Thanks for the rapid responses! I Am trying an idea I thought of just seconds after I made my post...
By changing the options directly on the printer to tray 1, it seems to accomplish what I am looking for. If tray 1 is open, it prnts from there. If not, it seems to pull from tray 2.

Time will tell if this works out.. I will keep this updated to inform.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back